Thursday, July 30, 2009

Mayor Comments At Power Plant Hearing

The Brockton Post
BROCKTON--The state Energy Facilities Siting Board is meeting today in Boston to discuss a draft decision that would allow Brockton Clean Energy, the company looking to construct a 350-megawatt natural gas electric plant in Brockton, to overcome another hurdle in its plans for the project.
Brockton residents and officials, including Mayor James Harrington--who has vowed to appeal a decision in favor of the power plant--made comments to members of the Siting Board and Ian A. Bowles, chairman of the Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs, and chairman of the Siting Board.
To read a copy of Harrington's statement provided by Harrington's office visit http://www.brocktonpostharrington.blogspot.com/.

Rox Drop Second Straight To Jackals

The Brockton Post
BROCKTON-Rox lose second of three with Jackals, try to prevent sweep tonight. Read a recap at http://www.brocktonroxpost.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

New Brockton Rox Blog


The Brockton Post
BROCKTON--The Brockton Post will follow the Brockton Rox as the Can-Am League baseball team battles for a playoff spot.
We will continue to build these pages with pictures and player interviews--whatever is possible on any given day.
Stay with us as we grow!
Today Brockton's boys are set to face the first place New Jersey Jackals. For a preview of today's game visit http://www.brocktonroxpost.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Dancing, Grilling Spark Cape Verde Fest

The Brockton Post
BROCKTON—Jessica Barbosa manned a table for Vicente’s food market which served up grilled chicken and beef shish kabobs at the 13th annual Cape Verdean festival held Sunday afternoon.
Manny Fonts (pictured below) grilled while Barbosa, 23, and her brother Jason manned a booth for her father’s Main Street shop where she ran into old friends and family members she had not seen in months or years.
"There are a lot of people I haven't seen in a long time," Barbosa said. “It reunites the community,” Barbosa said.
Sunday afternoon hundreds of Cape Verdean families rekindled old acquaintances, danced and sang to the many bands and performers like the dance group Victorious, (Dancer Keiko at right and Vandra Correia gets a dip from Jeslie Louizzia to right, below) and celebrated the community work of one of its own—Manuel “Amilcar” Miranda, a long-time employee at Brockton High School.
Aminah Pilgrim, president of Brockton's Cape Verde Association, said Saturday night, the group unveiled a new award in Miranda’s honor, called the “Manuel “Amilcar” Miranda Service Award, for members of the community who have dedicated their lives to helping the city and its Cape Verdean residents.
Pilgrim, 33, said Miranda worked at Brockton High School for 20 years in several capacities, including as an interpreter for teachers and staff with Cape Verdean residents who did not speak English.
She said he died last year after a long illness.
“He dedicated his life to service to our community,” Pilgrim said. “He worked for 20 years to help the city of Brockton and his people,” she said.
Pilgrim said Miranda was beloved by Cape Verdeans who called him Amilcar—a beloved nickname denoting respect and a fatherly influence that comes from the reverence of Amilcar Cabral, considered the father of Cape Verdean independence.
During the festival, which began at 1 p.m. at City Hall for the raising of the Cape Verdean flag, Mayor James Harrington made remarks, as de Maria de Jesus Mascarenhas, Consul General of the Cape Verdean Embassy in Boston, who visited with her daughter, Nadine.
“I’m so happy to be here,” Mascarenhas said as she browsed the stalls where vendors were selling T-shirts, cell phone service and food. “I wish the people of Brockton and the Cape Verde my very best,” she said.

Monday, July 27, 2009

Cape Verdeans Celebrate Heritage


The Brockton Post
BROCKTON--Hundreds of Cape Verdeans danced, ate and met old friends during the annual Cape Verdean Festival held Sunday.
Story and more pictures to follow later today.

Friday, July 24, 2009

Fox Attacks Put Brockton Neighborhood on Edge

The Brockton Post
BROCKTON--A fox that attacked and bit an Oak Street woman on the ankle has been captured, but others involved in two other incidents are still loose. For more of this story, please read today's Boston Globe at http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/07/24/fox_attacks_have_brockton_neighborhood_nervous/

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Brockton Brothers Eye November Matchup

The Brockton Post
BROCKTON--Football playing Brockton brothers Nate and Darren Thellen await a November match-up when the two will be pitted against each other when Northeastern University meets University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
Read about the sibling' rivalry in the Boston Globe at http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2009/07/19/competition_name_of_game_for_brocktons_thellen_brothers/

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Jerome Interim Superintendent Until Malone's Arrival

The Brockton Post
BROCKTON--The School Committee has named head of teaching and learning for grades six to eight as interim superintendent until the end of August when Matthew Malone--the city's new superintendent and current head of schools in Swampscott--begins works.
School committee member James Daley said Malone told the board Tuesday night he would be able to begin at the end of August instead of October--a situation that could have prompted the board to hire a consultant at $600 per day.
Malone's contract with Swampscott requires he give the North Shore town three months notice before leaving for another position. However, Daley said Malone has asked the Swampscott School Committee for a waiver of the three months clause and expects to begin as Brockton's superintedent at the end of August.
"There was no talk of a consultant, or $600 per day," Daley said.
School board members had said one option to deal with the three-month delay in Malone's arrival was to hire Malone as a consultant at $600 per day.
Members said such an option would not be needed because a better option is to appoint an interim superintendent until Malone can take over.
Jerome, the second-highest vote getter last month when Malone was appointed by the board, will act as interim superintendent until Malone is able to leave Swampscott and come to Brockton.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

School Board Considers $600-a-day for Superintendent

The Brockton Post
BROCKTON--New school Superintendent Matthew Malone could be paid up to $600 per day for consulting services as he works a part-time schedule until he can leave his current job in Swampscott.
Brockton's school committee will discuss Malone's consulting pay tonight at its regular meeting which begins at 7:30 p.m.
School officials said yesterday they are considering the consulting fee because Malone--who was appointed superintendent last month--by contract must give Swampscott 120 days notice to leave, a timeframe that will not allow Malone to begin full-time in Brockton until October.
Basan Nembirkow will retire Aug. 30.

Monday, July 20, 2009

Plouffe Middle Schoolers Get World Renowned Curriculum

The Brockton Post
BROCKTON--The Joseph F. Plouffe Academy in Brockton has been authorized as an International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program school, making it the first middle school in eastern Massachusetts and only the second in the state to offer the internationally-recognized global curriculum.
"This program is an internationally recognized curriculum that focuses on global understanding.," said Superintendent of Schools Basan Nembirkow in a prepared statement. "Our students will be living their whole lives in the 21st century, and they will be competing with the best and brightest from around the world," he said.
Plouffe Academy--formerly Gilmore Academy--opened in September 2005 as the district's first middle school, which provided opportunities for students enrolled in talented and gifted, bilingual, general education and special education program.
It will reopen this September as the Plouffe Academy at the former Plouffe Elementary School, a 750-student school building constructed in 1999.
School officials said the new location will allow Brockton Public Schools to expand the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program to a greater number of students, roughly 200 more than at its former location.
John R. Jerome, executive director of teaching and learning for grades six to eight said the program is rigorous academically and opens students minds in ways they never have before.
"(The curriculum) unmasks talents students don't know they have," Jerome said.
The Middle Years Program provides instruction in eight core subjects and meets all state curriculum guidelines.
Plouffe Academy Principal Michelle Nessralla said the progam asks students to think of themselves in a global way.
"This program is about ‘How do my actions affect others? What is my place in the world? And how can I make the world a better place," Nessralla said.
Other highlights of Middle Years is its emphasis on intercultural awareness, communication, creativity, community service, and independent thinking. Elective choices include band, chorus, theater arts, architecture, robotics, forensic science, government, digital photography, yearbook, science fiction, inventions and creative writing.
The authorization and application process for the program took three years and involved all constituencies within the school: students, teachers, administrators, staff, parents and central administrators.
The Brockton Public Schools also offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program to juniors and seniors at Brockton High School. Through this challenging two-year curriculum, students earn a qualification that is widely recognized by the world's leading universities and which can translate into college credit.
The International Baccalaureate Organization, or IBO is a non-profit educational foundation based in Geneva, Switzerland.
The IBO offers a Primary Years Program for elementary children, a Middle Years Program for students ages 11-16 and a Diploma Program for juniors and seniors in high school. The IBO has authorized more than 1,300 schools in 110 countries.

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Free Family Movie Night

The Brockton Post
BROCKTON--Families are invited to bring a lawn chair, a blanket and any munchies for a free family movie night Sunday, July 19 featuring popular children's animated film "Madagascar--Escape 2 Africa."
The movie will be held at Mary E. Baker School, 45 Quincy St. Gates open at 8 p.m. and the movie begins at 8:45. A screen will be installed at the soccer field to show the movie.
All are welcome and the event is free.

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Stuck Truck!

The Brockton Post
BROCKTON--Traffic was stalled near Court and N. Montello streets after a tractor trailer became wedged beneath a railroad bridge Wednesday afternoon.
Tim McKean, an employee with Lynch's Towing, which was called to remove the truck, said his company is called up to 20 times a year to dislodge stuck trucks.
The trailer's cab was unhitched and the trailer's tires were flattened which gave the company enough room to pull the trailer out with a large tow truck.
The bridge is 13 feet, 6 inches in the middle and more than two inches less to the left and right--a design that requires truck drivers to move to the middle to pass under.
Keith Jackson, another Lynch's employee, said the road is narrow under the bridge and often drivers do not move over for large trucks to get through--a possibility for how the truck got stuck yesterday.
"When people won't move over this is what happens," Jackson said.
"Be courteous. Be considerate. We're all in a rush, but nobody's going anywhere now," Jackson said.
The accident shut down a portion of the roadway from about 2:45 p.m. to about 3:30 p.m. No one was injured in the accident.

Mayor pledges power plant legal fight

The Brockton Post
BROCKTON--Mayor James Harrington has announced he is prepared to file an appeal to the state Supreme Judicial Court if the state Siting Board issues a final decision that approves a proposed natural gas powered electric plant.
The Siting Board issued a draft decision last week that is expected to be approved July 30 that would allow the plant to be constructed.
“Unlike many others who jumped on the stop the power caravan because it was politically popular to do so, I researched and made a fact based educated decision to oppose this gas-diesel fired electricity producing plant,” said Harrington in a prepared statement.
“This plant is not the type of economic development that the City of Champions is looking for, and is something that I can not allow to be forced down the proverbial throat of our residents. It does not matter how long and, or how difficult this fight is, I am prepared to fight it for the future of our city and the well-being of her citizens," he said in the statement.
Harrington could not be reached for further comment.

The mayor emphasized the appropriate channel for the city to object a decision by the Siting Board would be through an appeal to the Supreme Judicial Court.
Based on the draft decision, the city would have several legal grounds for such an appeal, including the principle of environmental justice.
The power plant is proposed for a section of the city's south side. Residents in Brockton, the Bridgewaters and other surrounding towns have rallied against the project saying it would create an environmental hazard.
Supporters have said the project would bring construction jobs to the area for the next two years and add millions to the city's tax base.
During hearings at the Siting Board last summer, the city put forth an argument of first impression, providing the Siting Board with an opportunity to determine whether environmental justice is relevant to the construction of power plants.
Harrington stated “if it’s not relevant here, it’s not going to be relevant anywhere.” In the Siting Board's draft decision, the board gave little weight to the argument that the project would disproportionately harm disadvantaged, low-income neighborhoods, stating that environmental justice concerns did not affect its underlying analysis.
An appeal to the Supreme Judicial Court must be filed within twenty days of the board’s final decision.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Break-in suspects caught

The Brockton Post
BROCKTON--Two Brockton men were arrested and charged with felony breaking and entering and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon after one of the men crashed his car into two police cruisers.
Joao Lima Fernandes, 27, and Jermaine Gonsalves, 22, are expected back in court at a later date to face charges after police arrested the pair Monday at about 8:06 a.m. after a short pursuit from a Prospect Street home when Gonsalves smashed a gray 2010 Toyota Camry into two police cars.
Police said officers were not injured, but the two cruisers were damaged and towed.
Police responded to a caller from Prospect Street who called about a suspicious vehicle and another caller from Fields Avenue who said a male party ran into his garage and has not come out.
The men were arraigned Tuesday in Brockton District Court. Charges included three counts of assault and battery with a deadly weapon, three counts of felony breaking and entering in the daytime, malicious destruction of property over $250 and receiving stolen property over $250.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

VA totem pole honors Native American vets

The Brockton Post
BROCKTON—Linda and Carl Muggli drove sixteen hours and 1,600 miles from Minnesota to deliver a specially carved totem pole that was erected and blessed during a ceremony at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Brockton.
The pair had been commissioned by Native American Program managers and member of the Equal Employment Opportunity office at the hospital to design and carve the totem pole that is the showpiece of a rejuvenated pond on the hospital’s grounds and a symbolic reminder of the sacrifice made by Native Americans during U.S. wars dating back to World War I.
Today, there are 190,000 Native Americans serving in the armed forces.
“It’s something I will remember for the rest of my life,” said Linda Muggli after last Thursday's ceremony.
The Mugglis said they do not always hand-deliver the totem poles they carve, including one for the Princess Diana Memorial Park in London, but this one was different.
“It’s for the veterans,” Linda Muggli said.
Following Thursday’s ceremony, the couple turned around and headed back to Minnesota.
The 30-foot totem pole weighs 3,000 pounds and is carved with symbols like the white buffalo, a boar, and a bear that signify healing, wisdom, community, strength and the life-giving power of the sun.
The celebration included Native American songs, a cleansing ceremony called smudging and a dance commemorating the installation of the pole at the pond.
Arnold Deary, one of the Native American organizers who made the totem pole possible, said more than 10 years ago the pond where the totem pole now stands once had a sweat lodge and other smaller totem poles where Native American veterans would visit while at the hospital.
He said the pond fell into disrepair, but is on its way to having not only a totem pole, but a reflecting pool, benches, and plants. Area businesses have also donated the cost to stock the pond with fish.
“We want to revitalize this pond to be shared by patients, their families and friends to be used as a place of reflection and healing,” Deary said.
Deary said plans are to complete the landscaping by the end of the year.
Dighton resident Mike Reagan, whose native name is “Talking Spirit,” said little has been done for Native Americans or other veterans and that the totem pole is a step in the right direction.
“We’re here to honor the veterans,” Reagan said.
Many who attended the ceremony Thursday talked of friends or relatives who served in Vietnam or World War II.
Many talked of a lack of services for veterans that dates back to those two wars.
Arlington resident Bettie Connors, who held back tears said her father E. Richard Jones of Quincy served in World War II, stormed the beaches at Normandy and died 15 years ago.
“I’m here for him,” Connors said. “The VA needs to do a hell of a lot more than they are doing now. More than nothing isn’t a lot,” she said.

Friday, July 3, 2009

Block Party Rocks

The Brockton Post
BROCKTON--Brockton resident Bob Goncalves wished the feeling he got from last Saturday's second city-wide block party could spread through the city and stop the violence that plagues the city's streets.
"Everybody's united right now and that's the way it should be," said Goncalves (pictured below.)
"I'll be here every year," he added.
Hundreds of Brockton residents attended the city's 2nd annual "City Block Party" last Saturday afternoon, an event that was filled with food and music, including reggae and Caribbean band Kreation (pictured at right).
Some, like 10-year-old Myona Brown, (pictured above) had their face painted by the many volunteers who helped organize the event.
City Community Liaison Moses Rodrigues thanked the hundreds who attended and the many volunteers.
He also thanked Mother Nature for a mostly sunny day because the block party had been postponed one week because of heavy rain that has plagued the area during the month of June.